A message from your Pastor Search Committee
Thank you for taking the time to visit our pastor search page. We, as a Pastor Search Committee, believe that this is a time of great importance in our church’s history. We have been given the opportunity to seek God’s face and ask for His wisdom in determining whom He has called to be the next senior pastor of Morningside Baptist Church (MBC).
We believe that this should be a time of great excitement and enthusiasm for our church, and we know that we are in need of great spiritual discernment through this process. The Pastor Search Committee earnestly requests your involvement in the process of calling a new senior pastor to Morningside Baptist Church by partnering with us in prayer for the committee, the man God is calling to MBC, and the church as a whole.
Sincerely, The Pastor Search Committee:
Mike Babb, Chairman
Debbie Ball, Survey Coordinator
Alecia Cravey, Corresponding Secretary
Wesley Lambertus, Communications Coordinator
Dewey McCabe, Vice Chairman
Suzi Miller, Social Coordinator
Jim Money, Prayer Coordinator
Sam Simmons, Recording Secretary
Mike Ussery, Packet Coordinator
To the Congregation of Morningside Baptist Church
Prayer is the most important aspect of searching for our next senior pastor. There are three areas that need a great deal of focused prayer: 1) Congregation, 2) Pastor Search Committee, and 3) Future Pastor. As you set aside time to pray, take a moment to read through the Scriptures provided and meditate on the truths found in them before incorporating those ideas into your prayer time. We believe that God provides wisdom and guidance as we commune regularly with Him, and we ask that you take the opportunity to pray for and with us through this process. You are encouraged to pray through this guide until God unmistakably provides the church with the pastor He has chosen to lead His people.
The Pastor Search Committee invites the members of Morningside Baptist Church to submit recommendations for the leadership of our church. You may forward to us resumes or contact information for individuals that you believe that God has brought to your attention. Information may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Pastor Search Committee, Morningside Baptist Church, 6065 Morningside Drive, Columbus, 31909. Be assured that any information you provide will be kept in strictest confidence.
As a team, we thank you for your confidence in the Pastor Search Committee. We look forward to serving Morningside Baptist Church in this capacity and humbly ask for your prayers as we move forward. We are seeking God in this process and the man He has for us.
June 18, 2018:
Just a few weeks ago, the members of MBC confirmed the Elder’s appointment of a very important committee that will play an integral role in the history of our church. We are glad to report that God is preparing your Pastor Search Committee (PSC) to seek His choice for His church, and in His time. We have completed our training, elected and appointed officers, planning our meeting schedule and a day long working retreat, and are participating in a 31-day prayer guide.
God is preparing us with the understanding that human knowledge and judgment are inadequate for this task and that we must to listen to His wise counsel through the Holy Spirit.
We are preparing a 40-day congregational prayer guide that we will provide to you in July. Until that time, we ask that as you pray for your PSC and its individual members, pray for patience, faithfulness, and strength, always trusting Him to hear us and sustain us as we follow His guiding hand.
The PSC has also set up an email account so that you will be able to contact the committee with suggestions, comments or resumes of potential candidates. Send the information to email@example.com.
July 9, 2018:
Greetings from the Pastor Search Committee (PSC),
Prior to meeting alone as a group for the first time, the PSC began laying the foundation for the search for the next senior pastor. The PSC acknowledged that for the foundation to be solid, it needed to be built upon The Cornerstone – Jesus Christ. For thirty-one days prior to meeting, the PSC read specific Scripture and prayed after meditating on each Scripture.
As a result, when we met, it was joyful and very productive. We now ask that every one of you join us in meditating on specific Scripture and to pray. The PSC has provided a 40 Day Pastor Search Prayer Guide, which offers forty days worth of selected verses from the Bible as well as prayer points. The more of us that join in with this commitment, the more solid the foundation will be in the search. Therefore, the PSC encourages you to not only read the verses but to mediate on them, and then to pray earnestly, diligently, and without ceasing. For those of you who were not here Sunday, please know that the Prayer Guides are available in the gathering room and on line at www.morningsidebaptist.com/pastor-search.
The PSC believes the more we pray and read from God’s Word, the closer to God’s Will we will be, and the closer to unity under Christ we will be!
Wesley Lambertus, Communications Coordinator
and Your Pastor Search Committee
August 5, 2018:
Pastor Search Survey
The Pastor Search Committee (PSC) is excited to announce that a survey will be distributed – in printed form as well as online – to church members within the next few weeks.
The survey seeks information from three categories:
- Each Member Individually
- The Church Collectively
- What Each Member Looks for in the Next Pastor.
The purpose of the survey is for its findings to aid the PSC, as well as the new pastor, to know God’s will for Morningside and thereby make informed decisions.
In the next few weeks, prior to taking the survey, please pray that we all seek God. Pray also that we submit to Jesus’ sovereignty as head of the church. As such, we will feel His presence as we each take the survey. As Jimmy Blanton reminded us in his last sermon, God’s desire is to do marvelous things, but the key is we each need to call upon Him,
and prayer is that engine.
August 16, 2018:
THE SURVEYS ARE COMING! THE SURVEYS ARE COMING!
The call of a new Senior Pastor of our church is a critical event in the life of this congregation. It is a time of making a choice about our collective future. This moment provides an important opportunity for all of us to share together in assessing who we are and where we see ourselves going. It is important that everyone participate in this survey, church members as well as Bible Fellowship members.
This survey is designed to assist in this task. It not only asks several sets of questions about our congregation’s current ministry and your own involvement, but also seeks your input on pastoral leadership and your vision for our future.
You may complete this survey online at www.morningsidebaptist.com or on paper. The paper copies will be distributed at the end of the worship services on August 19 and August 26, or you may pick one up from the church office. The survey will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Surveys must be completed and submitted by September 4, 2018 and all responses are anonymous.
Thank you for your cooperation in this very important event.
August 19, 2018
Greetings from the Pastor Search Committee (PSC),
On Sunday August 12, 2018, a few members of the committee met with our high school and middle school students. Around forty-five students showed up and answered eight questions the PSC asked as the committee gets ready to sift through the over two hundred resumes that have already been submitted. The answers the students gave were quite inspiring, and it was clear they would have eagerly given more answers if time had allowed. As it was, the hour passed swiftly, and the students gave such thought-provoking answers, the committee was excited to share them with the church. Below are the answers the students gave to the questions the committee asked. As you read the answers, please continue to pray without ceasing for the committee, for our students, and for Morningside as we all seek God in the PSC’s effort to find the next pastor.
Q1: What qualities do you want in a pastor?
- Relatableto sermon and singing. Want something youth and the older generation can connect to together. Youth feel disconnected with topics.
- Tell us the passages and why we're reading them; what point in the lesson is he trying to get us to understand. Otherwise there is no understanding why we're reading these passages.
- Youth want a pastor who listens to us and understands the questions we ask. Someone invested in the youth outside of the sanctuary.
- Involvement in all areas/ministries and with all ages: children, youth, adults, choir, drama, etc.
- A pastor who has learned through personal experiences in his life. His personal trials and tribulations.
- Don't sugar coatthe message. Tell the truth like it is.
- Don't make sudden/major changes right away
- Meet and greet BEFORE being selected as our pastor. Get to know leaders and volunteers of the church.
- A pastor who makes me feel welcome and will listen.
- Preach sermons that have a life application.
Q2: Why do people come to our church?
- Word of mouth - positive feedback.
- New people feel welcomed.
- Community, friendship, church family.
- Place where people come to get connected.
- You can tell the staff and teachers truly love God and love the members of MBC.
- Special events draw them here.
- People feel the Holy Spirit working within them.
Q3: Why do you come to Morningside Baptist Church?
- To learn with my friends about the knowledge of God.
- Feel accepted. Friends make me feel welcomed and loved. No judgements from peers.
- My family's been coming here all my life. Some are 3rd generation families.
- Parents encourage you.
- So I won't fall into temptation.
- Personal family life isn't so great. But I feel MBC is my true family.
- The church is not just a community, it is a family.
Q4: What are some of the best things at Morningside Baptist Church?
- We love our current ministers, Clint and Brandon.
- BF teachers are actively engaging and engage youth to participate in lessons. VBS volunteers, ministers, etc. genuinely care and teach from the Word.
- Fun social activities that are planned for us.
- Mission trips.
- Long term family members.
- MBC helps those in need get back on their feet.
- Worship and music – both in the sanctuary an on Wednesday nights in the Student Center.
- It is fun.
- Youth Ministry.
Q5 & Q6: What are some things to improve on at our church and what would you like to see our church do that we are not currently doing?
- Desperately want adult and youth choir and drama.
- Desperately want to bring back Fan Day and other big events at the church - not off campus. (i.e. Fall festivals, Easter egg hunts, ice cream socials, etc.).
- Selfish church - need to be more outwardly focused. It's not about me; it's not always going to go your way, your preferences. Be less selfish. Unity with all. No clicks.
- More local missions (i.e. feed the homeless) like Take the City missions and events. Spreading the gospel.
- Advertise the church more. Go tell others about MBC.
- Youth and adults don't know one another. Need ways to bring them together more often...get to know one another.
Q7: Are you praying for the Pastor Search Process?
- Some of the youth are praying for our church and PSC.
Q8: Do you like the current worship style at Morningside Baptist Church?
- Loved the music style when Ricky was interim worship pastor. Ricky was energetic, engaging, and the choice of music was relatable to me.
- Currently like the service okay with Ricky and Chris. The music program needs to incorporate a bigger variety of songs. It feels like the same songs every week.
- Like the mix of blended music. 50/50 hymn and contemporary styles.
- Need more enthusiasm while singing.
- Expand the band. Add youth and kids on stage. Variety!
- Ricky’s sermon style is more relatable. He incorporates stories into the sermon like Phil Martin. Ricky makes eye contact sometimes and I feel he's speaking to me.
August 29, 2018
Greetings from the Pastor Search Committee (PSC),
On Sunday August 19, 2018, a few members of the committee met with our elementary school students. It is easy to read the answers given by our children and be reminded by Jesus’ love for them as he said “let the children come unto me.” Below are the answers they gave to the questions they were asked regarding the search for the next pastor.
What kind of pastor do you want for church?
- One that makes you feel comfortable to be around
- One who is kind and helps me to learn about God
- One who has accepted Jesus into his heart and has a relationship with Him
- One who preaches the Truth from God’s word-no false preaching
- One who knows who I am and is my friend and will play with me
- One who will pray for you even though he doesn’t tell you he is praying for you
- One who speaks the truth about God
- One who is funny, knows a lot about the Bible, prays a lot, and is close to God
Why do people come to our church?
- To learn about God
- They love Jesus
- To learn the truth
- For a personal relationship
- To learn stories
- To have friends who care for you spiritually
- To hear sermons
Why do you come to our church?
- Because I love Jesus and want to learn more about Him
- So that I can go to Heaven
- To get baptized
- To play with my friends and have fun
- We have fun teachers
- To know people who are going to be in Heaven with you
- To respect God and to worship Him
What are some of the best things about our church?
- It’s fun
- Playing with friends
- Vacation Bible School
- Packet given on Wednesday night
- Indoor playground
- Fun staff on Wednesday nights
- Miss Anne is a good teacher on Wednesday nights
- Kid’s Worship
- Our church is big
- Our church has security and keeps us safe
- Clint is funny and a great story teller
- Clint is the best teacher
- Good teachers
- I like the songs in big church and kid’s church
- I like to get picked to help with the offering
- The people
- Music and worship
Questions they said we should ask the new pastor:
- His experience at pastoring (how many years)
- At how many churches has he preached?
- Does he have children?
- Does he like children?
- Do they like to play foosball?
- Ask him to give 5 reasons why he wants to be a preacher at our church
Sepember 6, 2018
THANK YOU FOR YOU PARTICIPATION IN OUR SURVEY
The information received from the 148 surveys submitted will be a valuable tool in helping the committee find the man God has already identified by name and will be helpful to our new shepherd as he learns all about his new flock.
PSC Update: Our 40 Days of Prayer, Congregational Survey, Needs Profile, and interviews with the staff, children and students have all been completed. There were 273 candidates who submitted resumes for our Senior Pastor position. After all resumes were examined for the Required Credentials, 40% of the resumes were rejected; and the committee has begun their extensive review, discernment, and prayer of the remaining 165 qualified candidates as the PSC seeks to identify God’s man. This is expected to take several months.
We are confident of our Lord’s direction in these matters and covet your prayers as we proceed to do His will.
In His Love and Service, Pastor Search Committee
Click the Video Below
to see an Aerial View of the Morningside Campus:
Submission of Information
If you would like to submit your resume for the opening of Senior Pastor at Morningside Baptist Church, you may do so by emailing, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you prefer, you can mail your resume to:
Pastor Search Committee
Morningside Baptist Church
6065 Morningside Baptist Church
Columbus, GA 31909
All information submitted is confidential.